lunes, 21 de febrero de 2011

Letter to Top Gear production on behalf of Mexico

Top Gear producers, presenters and staff:

I would like to begin congratulating you for your excellent production and content, your show is, to my perception, the best show worldwide today on air. The combination between automobile information and a sort of humour noir, obtains a unique result and, frankly, a delight. There is no Top Gear show in which you cannot obtain laughter from me and in return I can only write you this apology on behalf of the society that I love and come from.

Mexico’s perception about your show was (before the event which Mexicans had an outrageous reaction) good, we enjoyed, and I still do, your show because of what I mentioned before. Mexicans have a similar sense of humor and this is why the reaction is to me a great disappointment. The references you made about the Mexican society basing in stereotypes are totally funny and I am sure that if the remarks were about a different country, Mexicans would have had no problem and would had encouraged between each other to watch the show.

This reaction is, on my personal opinion, a motive of apology. The personal comments that were made about the presenters of the show in social networks and different media were uncalled for. Also, it is a huge disappointment that the Mexican ambassador is concerned about these things instead of working for the Mexican people living in the United Kingdom in more relevant matters. In risk of being treated as a social traitor to my country, I decided to manifest my unconformity about the Mexican society dealing with this situation that they made a problem, society which I am sure, the entire BBC does not consider as what is told about it within the stereotype line.

Addressing the remarks, the only thing that could bother me was the reference to Mexican food, but when I deeply thought about what the presenters said, I found out that they were talking about the stereotyped Mexican food that is offered in Europe, this kind of food is not Mexican, it is a result of tex-mex spread by different nationalities but the Mexican. Personally, I totally agree of what James May said about what is mistakenly known as Mexican cuisine. I remember that the first time I saw a reference about actual Mexican food becoming World Heritage was by BBC, so I am aware of the knowledge that the Corporation has about Mexico, and through productions about Mexico that I have seen, it is clear to me how BBC appreciates Mexican society and traditions.

Finally, I urge you not to change Top Gear style and keep sharing your fantastic show with Mexican people. I am frightened about this issue, because to me Top Gear is an important show that must be compared with Mexican television so that it can improve and increase competitively.

Sincerely,

Jorge Eduardo

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario